Thursday, February 10, 2011

Are iPads Effective in the Classroom...Or Just Another Fun Toy?

Since the iPads came out I feel like this has been an ongoing question. Are iPads just another gadget in the room or can they be used to effectively increase learning. When I first received my iPad I was in love with
it (still am!)...thin, easy to carry around, large led viewing screen. I mean what's not to love. For me, it made checking my e-mails and surfing the web much more convenient, but I had a little trouble understanding how this could be helpful or why it would need to be a "must have" for the classroom. I think since its inception it has come a long way in this area. I'm currently working with faculty at Pace University and through my department I was able to run an iPad initiative, and to see some of the great ways in which faculty are using them in the classroom , its just astounding. I have seen nursing teachers use apps providing 3D images that they can rotate and manipulate any which way the want and their students can take the iPad with them on rounds to use the app that has lists of all the pharmaceutical drugs they need at the tip of their fingers. I also have seen it being used as a great assistive technology tool for students with special needs.

Maybe we are not 100% there, and perhaps $499 is still to expensive for a school district to outfit all their schools with iPads, but I think the apps for this tool are continually growing and we will continue to be amazed. I think one of the greatest parts about iPad use in the classroom right now is the excitement that it seems to be adding to the classroom. If we can get students excited to use the tool, then we are halfway there!

3 comments:

  1. I am student teaching at a district that has, I believe, about 30-40 ipads floating around the various schools. I am working with a kindergarten class "piloting" the ipad elementary school program. It has been an amazing experience so far. The students are so eager to "play" with the ipads that they don't seem to realize that they're actually working on math skills and phonics. When done correctly, a "cool gadget" can also provide an educational experience, even with our youngest audience. I think, if I were a district technology coordinator, I would wait before implementing the ipads though. They are going to go through several changes before they are perfected, and I would like to see more schools pilot them before I spend 500 dollars per ipad.

    They are incredibly cool though! They gave me one to use for the semester so I know what I'm doing when I teach the students, and every day I learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. iPads seem to be a cool addition to classrooms and can generate a lot of excitement with students! One of my friends works for Apple and showed me some great great applications for teachers. One in particular that I liked was TeacherPal. This app allows you to record grades, keep attendance, post homework, create a seating chart, etc. The ability to have access to all these things we need to do daily on a iPad would allow teachers to focus on teaching. Of course there are amazing apps out there for students and I just starting to discover the apps created for the social studies. I can wait to explore more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally forgot! Here is a link to preview TeacherPal: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/teacherpal/id389584618?mt=8

    ReplyDelete