Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Open Source Software

XMIND
So after combing through the sourceforge.net website, I was trying to decide what kind of open source tool I would be looking for. I’m always a big fan of brainstorming, idea organization skills, content mapping, etc. So I decided to research for a tool like this and came across Xmind, which so far seems very useful. I saw that it had a lot of great reviews and it was even won an award in 2008 for being the best Eclipse RCP application and the best project for academia in 2009 in the SourceForge community, so I thought I would download it and give it a shot!
First off, let’s talk about what Xmind is. Xmind is an open source software that allows to create and edit topics with content maps. You can drag and drop, reorganize, move markers, take snapshots, and add attachments. This software even allows you to use google to search for images and drag them into your map. You can use Xmind to give presentations and you can easily export files to PDFs or Word documents so they can be printed and/or shared.
Xmind is free but they do have upgradeable functions that you would need to pay for. But I think free version has more than enough functions that can be considered useful and beneficial in the classroom.  As I mentioned previously I am a major promoter of brainstorming and organization of ideas. For example, when going to write a paper I like to get my main ideas in order, follow them with sub ideas, and really map out exactly what I want to put into my paper. Doing this by hand, with a paper and a pen, can sometimes leave you in a disarray. Everything can get jumbled, you want to move topics around and then you just end up making a big mess that you can barely read. Using Xmind you can make a content map of your choice…whether it be a topic web or a tree version, you can color code, use different themes and outlines and you can use markers to label priorities, provide ordering, mark ideas you think are most important or ideas you questionably want to remove. Another great function is that you can add your notes right into it, so if have a sidebar, you can come back to it later.
This FREE software tool reminds me a lot of the PAID tool “Inspiration”. I actually really like Inspiration as well, but seeing that you can get something so so similar is great! I would definitely use this with my class of students. I think tools like this are beneficial to all students.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lbonilla,

    Great find! Mind mapping is such a good pre-writing strategy. I like how this tool can be freely given to students to use at home to provide additional support. That is one of the pleasures of Open Source, isn't it, let students have it!

    ReplyDelete